The best way for parent to prevent tooth decay in children is to get them to brush their teeth daily and practice proper oral care, this is what the best a pediatric dentist in Dubai will give a parent.
Bruising teeth is not at the top of the list of a child’s favourite things to do, but parent should make their children enthusiastic about daily dental hygiene by making it fun and enjoyable. Here are some tips to help parents get started.
- Earlier the better – some parent wait till children are 3 -4 years old to introduce oral care,. Infants can be introduced to oral care as well by gently cleaning the infants gums and newly erupted teeth with a soft wet cloth.
- Gently brush – once the teeth have fully erupted, use a baby tooth brush with soft bristles to brush the teeth, a dab of mild tooth paste could be used.
- Teach the child proper techniques – once the child is about 2 you can teach the child the proper brushing techniques with no more than a pea-sized amount of toothpaste. Show them how it’s done. As they will want to brush their teeth alone once they are older.
- Daily routine – Establish a daily routine to brush teeth, especially after meals in the morning and at bedtime. These rituals once stilled in a child it will be a habit that is practiced well into adulthood as well.
- Rinse well – teach your child the importance of rinsing the mouth after brushing and spitting the water out.
- Wean a child from the bottle – Never let your child to sleep with a pacifier or bottle filled with milk. When teeth are frequently exposed to sugar-containing fluids such as breast milk and formula for long periods, the potential for decay increases dramatically.
- Limit sugar intake – children love sugar such as sweets and chocolate. Make sure to ask your child to brush their teeth as soon as they have sweets and limit the intake of sugary snacks per day.
- Mum and baby should eat healthy food – A baby’s primary teeth begin forming before birth, therefore to ensure proper dental development, the mother’s diet must be adequate in all nutrients, especially calcium, phosphorous, and protein. Therefore, once the baby is born and eating solids a proper balanced is important for development.
- Regular dental visits – Make sure your child see a good dentist in Dubai around the time of his/her first birthday and then regularly thereafter. The dental clinic in Dubai will teach you how to prevent oral disease, check for cavities in your child and also make it a priority for regular dental visits.
- Dental anxiety – make sure the visit to the dentist is fun and not a ordeal your child has to go through, never show any nervousness and encourage your child to discuss his or her fears about visiting a dentists.