Everyone wants to put their best smile forward and there’s no doubt that an incredible smile can boost your confidence. While most people are happy with their smile, some seek professional help to achieve their dream smile. There are several ways to achieve the smile you want but one of the most popular options in recent times is dental veneers. Let’s take a look at what they entail and how it has become an increasingly popular option to transform smiles.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers, also known as porcelain veneers, are thin, tooth-colored porcelain shells that are placed over your current teeth. Being a simple, minimally-invasive technique in improving smiles, dental veneers are a permanent solution to many cosmetic dental problems. They are easy to maintain and can last a lifetime if well taken care of. They enhance the appearance of your smile and boost your confidence.
Why get veneers?
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of opting for dental veneers:
1. Yellow teeth: Veneers take care of a variety of cosmetic problems that impact your teeth. Over the years, teeth get stained from habits such as consuming coffee, smoking cigarettes, or consuming foods high in acidity. While teeth whitening may be a quick fix for most people, not everyone reacts well to whitening agents. Professional teeth whitening services can get rid of persistent stains; however, they do return as you continue yielding to teeth-staining habits and behaviors. Veneers are comparatively more resistant to stains than the natural enamel of your teeth; hence, they maintain their whiteness for longer. Do keep in mind though that even after attaining veneers, it is highly advised to visit your dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups in order to maintain them, which is usually done with a special non-abrasive polishing paste.
2. Crooked or gapped teeth: If you have gapped or crooked teeth, you often tend to conceal them with closed lip smiles or by covering your mouth when laughing. Dental veneers are perfect in such circumstances since they help fill in gaps and hide imperfections. Your cosmetic dentist will place the veneers over the surface of your teeth in such a way that it will conceal the crookedness or fill in the existing gaps. For crooked, gapped, or cosmetically flawed teeth, dental veneers are the perfect choice.
3. Damaged enamel: The hard, outer layer of your tooth is termed as the tooth enamel. If this part is damaged, your teeth may experience discoloration, sensitivity, and pain. Several habits such as poor dental hygiene, teeth grinding, and certain DIY teeth whitening treatments can contribute to the erosion of the enamel. Damaged enamel would result in higher chances of tooth decay. In such cases, dental veneers can be a solution to protect your teeth from getting further damaged.
Things to expect when getting veneers
Prior to getting veneers, a preliminary appointment with a qualified cosmetic dentist is essential to discuss the entire process. Your dentist will let you know the number of teeth you would require and how you will benefit from straightening your teeth prior to getting veneers. An X-ray of your teeth will be conducted post which your doctor will determine correcting any dental conditions such as tooth decay that could possibly impact your veneers.
At your next appointment, your dentist will use a filing tool to remove about half a millimeter of your tooth enamel to leave more room for the veneers. Impression molds of your brand new smile would then be carved and sent to a laboratory to create your veneers, which should be ready for use within 2 weeks. Post this, your dentist will assess the shape, fit, and color of your veneers to ensure they are a perfect match for you. Your teeth will also be thoroughly cleaned to prevent bacterial growth beneath your veneers after which a filing tool will be used to create a rough texture on your enamel, which will assist the veneer to stick to your tooth. Lastly, a dental cement and ultraviolet light will be used to bind the veneer to your teeth. Post your appointment, you will be able to return to your regular routine of eating and drinking.
How veneers enhance your smile
1. Conceal cracks and chips: Not only do veneers enhance the look of your teeth, they also offer additional strength and resilience to them. If your teeth consist of cracks or chips, veneers act as a protective layer for them to avoid further damage. Do note however that while veneers do have the ability to address several conditions, with an extremely damaged tooth, a different form of treatment could be recommended such as crown or dental implants to improve not just the aesthetics but the health of the affected tooth as well.
2. Straighten teeth without orthodontics: Veneers can provide a straighter smile without you having to go down the path of pain and inconvenience of braces or other orthodontic treatments. Veneers can actually reshape your teeth to make them look more aligned and presentable. Note that this cosmetic treatment is usually best for minor misalignments. If the placement of your teeth influences your bite or your mouth’s health, an orthodontic treatment would be highly advised.
3. Get rid of gummy smiles: If your gums noticeably dominate your smile, dental veneers are definitely an option to consider. Each set of veneers are customised to fit your mouth perfectly. They can also be created in a way that balances your smile to reveal more teeth and less gum.
Maintaining the quality of your veneers
Although veneers are known to be a strong and durable cosmetic fixture, they must be gently cared for. Since they are made of thin porcelain, they can be damaged from physical trauma. Keep your veneers in good condition by keeping them clean and avoiding chewing or biting on hard food or objects such as ice or fingernails. If you have a bad habit of grinding your teeth continuously, it is advised to wear a dental guard to protect your veneers. You can also opt for a durable mouth guard when indulging in strenuous physical activities.
When it comes to the confidence in your smile, veneers are the perfect choice. Don’t hide your smile away anymore. With porcelain veneers, you can have your dream smile in just a few appointments.